Cursed In Love Review

Drama: Cursed in Love (English title) / We Are Not Ourselves (literal title)
Romaji: Watashitachi wa Douka Shiteiru
Japanese: 私たちはどうかしている
Director: Naoko Komuro, Ryuichi Inomata, Hiroto Akashi, Itaru Mizuno
Writer: Natsumi Ando (manga), Rin Eto
Network: NTV
Actors: Minami Hamabe, Ryusei Yokohama, Mahiro Takasugi, Yukino Kishii

 

I'll go straight to the point If you like doki doki type of romance with taste of mystery, revenge and a bit of soapy melodrama then you'll end up loving this drama. It would also help if you love both actors, Hamabe Minami is gorgeous and Yokohama Ryusei is like a dashing, snobby prince. They also have great chemistry and the acting is kind of good.


 

Having said that the drama felt experimental to me, at one point it looks like your normal Japanese drama, slice of life vibe with typical manga-ish reaction from the actors then suddenly it feels like you are watching a Telenovela, ultra soapy development just to drive the plot, and I don't like that. The reason why I watch Japanese drama is because they are different and this having that soapy element is a big turn off for me.


 

If you love sweets or into Japanese culture this would be a perfect drama for you and that's the only reason why I continue on with this drama. They work in a traditional Japanese confectionery shop and those traditional Japanese sweets looks really appetizing in this drama. They are not just sweets but also a form of art. It would make you want to try them once you visit Japan.


 

Just like I've mentioned acting here is good but I would also like to point out that you would see a different version of Hamabe here, not the Kakegurui Hamabe but the more mature, non kawaii role this time. It seems it will be the start of her playing more mature characters.


 

Overall, if you are into it just for the fan service you will get it here, lots of it, but if you are like me who can't stand any soapy element in their drama then stay away.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for always writing these stuff. Nowadays it's hard to find a place to get info about japan dramas and movies recommendation, perhaps because I don't understand japanese language at all which is limited me from digging into japanese site.

    Your two cents help me to watched dramas that gave me enjoyment and sometimes meaningful life lessons. I appreciate it.

    Once again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's spot on. The drama could've been beautiful without the soap drama elements. There were too much plot twists. How I wish they focused on the growing love for each other of the main characters, it somehow look like the story was rushed. I was confused with each characters goals, it seems like they have too many hesitations, it somehow look liked Nao was not determined with her goal since she've fallen in love with Tsubaki easily. I wished they slowly develop Nao's feelings for Tsubaki instead of rushing it, I don't think I can fall in love that easily with the man who caused my misfortune in life lol. I hated the last episode, I wished they just revealed the truth of the murder somewhere in the middle of the story because it seems that they were rushed to tell it in the end, then they could've focused on the reunion of Tsubaki and Nao on the last episode, they could've showed their marriage or their happy life!! That said, I still liked the show for the good performance of the casts especially the main characters and the showcase of Japan's culture, it made me want to try the sweets when I go to Japan someday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Student-Teacher Romance Japanese Dramas/Movies

Best Japanese Dramas of 2020