Nagi's Long Vacation (2019) - First Impressions

Drama: Nagi's Long Vacation
Romaji: Nagi no Oitoma
Japanese: 凪のお暇
Director: Toshio Tsuboi, Takeyoshi Yamamoto, Nobuhiro Doi
Writer: Misato Konari (manga), Satomi Oshima
Actors: Haru Kuroki, Issey Takahashi, Tomoya Nakamura, Mikako Ichikawa, Erika Karata, Yo Yoshida


Here comes another slice of life drama from Japan, a country that is known for producing very good slice of life dramas in the past. Such a comfy drama with playful music and calm pacing added up to the laidback/cozy atmosphere of this drama. I only watched one episode so far, but I can already tell this will be something special, first episode had all the signs of a masterpiece in the making. With strong performance from its cast, this thought provoking drama is a must watch, especially that the theme it tackle is close to heart.


When you enter a room full of strangers most people will remain silent for awhile. Judge people's faces, their expressions, their manner of talking etc. Whether it happen during your first day at school, at work or when your boyfriend introduce you to his circle of friends, I know people are familiar with that situation. That reading the atmosphere type of situation is the central theme of this drama.


We are introduced to the main character, Oshima Nagi, a 28 year old office worker. She conforms to her surroundings as she constantly gauges people’s moods. Because she does not want people to think negative of her, she complies with what her co-workers want her to do. She just wanted to blend in and fit into the environment, she even didn't react when her boyfriend ignores her at work. Basically she's that nice person that people take advantage of. But she's not your typical weak cliché type of character because then she realizes she had enough; she resigned from her work and move away to reboot her life. If you like self improvement and life changing dramas then you'll definitely love this one.


Another character that I find interesting is her ex-boyfriend, Gamon Shinji, a typical obsessive boyfriend, and to make it worst he's also full of ego, and that's why he act like that in front of his co workers and won't admit how much he loves Nagi. He also read the atmosphere as much as Nagi, BUT unlike Nagi whom only prevents herself to say what's in her mind, Shinji on the other hand is so toxic that ended up harming the person he loves. I like how they add depth to his character which makes his character not your typical evil character. He crying at the end of each episode is a sight to behold. It shows balance to the comic relief and rawness of his character.


So far this is a series about Nagi and Shinji, both having issues with their personality. They read the atmosphere too much to fit in their own ideal environment. We have yet to see the back story of Arashiro Gon, he is that other guy, because this drama is advertised as a love triangle, so let's see how his character add depth to the story. Aside from them there are also very interesting side characters that also have their own stories to tell and each of them gives very valuable and thought provoking life lessons.


Acting is superb Haru Kuroki owned the character Nagi, she played the character brilliantly. Haru Kuroki is such a national treasure in Jdramaland and this drama just added to vast range of characters she portrayed. Takahashi Issey showed his versatility here, I love his acting; his nuances just make every character he portrayed very compelling, just like I said his character is not your typical textbook evil. I won't be surprised if they both an award here.


Ending song "Reboot" by miwa is not just fitting but very catchy too, just adds a point to my overall score for this drama.

Comments

  1. I truly agree! Takahashi’s character is so hateful as a villain but you also feel sorry for him which is not your typical “villain” trope. I love his comedic relief role and I can’t wait for how his character starts to break (I’m sure you’ve seen more episodes and you know what I’m talking about).

    But I still don’t care for Gon’s character....he has some childish charms but something about him irks me so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting how Gon's character will fit the theme of this story. He's in the cover though so I expect something from him.

      Delete
  2. I loved this drama soo much , I cant even find the words to express the happiness I felt , The scenery in the drama was also soo beautiful.
    I love how relatable Nagi's problem was and how they shed a little light on the struggles that everyone goes through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this drama is so good. It's one of the best Jdramas this year.

      Delete
  3. my favorite japanese actors are kuroki haru and takahashi issey, so you could imagine how delighted I am to discover this dorama.
    just like you said, takahashi issey's acting is award-worthy, no wonder he accepted this role, the character is so complex..
    i predict that both kuroki haru and takahashi issey will win awards, again... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear JDrama Guy, I found your blog two days ago and went to watch this JDrama which I so totalled loved ��. I could relate to so many of the shades of Nagi's (re)volution, and could deepely feel with her all along the show. THANKS A LOT for suggesting it, and I am so very happy I found your blog.
    Stay healthy and safe, all the best, an Italian drama-lover lady of 49

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Student-Teacher Romance Japanese Dramas/Movies

Cursed In Love Review

Best Japanese Dramas of 2020